Monday, June 25, 2012

Regrets

I don't have many. But losing a friend unexpectedly has caused me to do some examining, because I have regrets regarding my relationship with her. Thankfully, they are not the "I wish I hadn't said that" type of regrets. Rather, they are the "I wish we had done that" regrets. We'd planned for her to give me guitar lessons. This was something we were both excited about. It would give us some time to hang out, we'd get to know each other better, I was excited to learn a new skill, and I'm sure she was excited to share what she knew.

Who knows why, but I tend to be the type of person who does not do a lot of inviting (at least, that's how I see myself). Spending a night at home alone is no big deal, though I enjoy going out with friends. Most of my plans happen eventually, but losing Michele makes me think that eventually should turn in to something sooner. The chance to get to know someone may pass more quickly than anticipated. Thankfully, I'm not really burdened with regret due to this happening, but I want to use this as an opportunity to learn, and act on what I have learned.

The next time you see me, ask me if I've done any inviting recently, and cherish the time you have to spend with the good people in your life!

1 comment:

Emily Lacey said...

Hi Janelle, You are a very sincere, caring and thoughtful kind of friend. Thanks for reminding me of the fragility and speediness of life. Aunty Em