Monday, October 5, 2009

The Messiah

About a month ago, one of my roommates and I noticed a poster that kept showing up at church, just outside the chapel. The West Stake here in San Antonio was planning a community production of Handel's "The Messiah". I've heard the music several times. I even attended a Messiah "sing-in" with my college roommates at the Salt Lake Tabernacle. The audience was the choir, and the orchestra and soloists were provided. The music was fun to sing, and my roommates and I skipped around singing different parts.

My roommate here (Teagan) and I decided we'd go to the first rehearsal and decide from there whether we really wanted to join the production. Rehearsal last week wasn't bad. There were certainly parts that I couldn't play just sight-reading, but I was confident, and so was Teagan. I went to rehearsal alone last night (Teagan is out of town). We worked on different pieces this week, and my view is changing slightly. While I'm sure that I can still play the part, I'm also beginning to wonder if I'll be having a life outside of practicing! If I'm going to do this, I want to be able to say I played well. Pages full of pieces in keys with 2-4 sharps (I like to play with 3 flats) and lots and lots of sixteenth notes are making me question my abilities. Practicing slowly here at home today has restored some of my confidence. The performance isn't until the first weekend in December-I think I can, I think I can...

2 comments:

katieg said...

You Can do it! Good Luck with it all !

Kayla said...

I know you can do it Janelle!!!!!! =)