Friday, January 21, 2011

Double standard and a dating question

Talking to a friend (who happens to be a guy) about a group gathering tonight. I asked who was going to be there, and made a joke about not coming because none of the guys would date a girl who is older than they are (and I happen to be older than all of them). His response said something like M's not your type, and D's a baby (D must be at least 25, he's graduated from college and served a mission). This from a man who is maybe six months my minor and asks 19 year old girls for dates.

I asked why he didn't think M was my type. He said something about how good I am at meeting goals and said M and guys like him are not that good-not bad, but not up to my level. So I'm either too old to be dated or too good. Is there really a too good, or is this just an excuse? (I think it's an excuse, and a lousy one at that)

3 comments:

Kayla said...

Ya know, I've had the same problem too. Granted, I'm younger than you...but it always seems that the "excuses" I get from guys are that either the other guy isn't good enough (or up to my level yet) or that I'm too good.

I'll be honest with you Janelle, we will almost always be a step ahead of guys. And sometimes, we have to wait a little longer for the guy who is actually at the same level as us...spiritually speaking. Physically speaking, guys will usually not reach our "level"...we are just more mature than they are in life.

But yes, it is an excuse...a very poor one at that. It seems if the guys would just commit themselves to the Gospel, and really commit, there wouldn't be such a huge gap spiritually. But guys don't care much about some things and just want to play, and it's the guys that always just want to play that you should avoid-they won't grow out of it.

Love you! :)

ai said...

it's real. I have tons of guy friends that are great but that I wouldn't let anyone I liked date. and visa versa. Lots of good friends that are girls that I wouldn't encourage some guys to date....

and in this case, I think it's a valid statement because even if it's not about being "too good" it's about being different. And different lifestyles in life, especially goal setting is a big deal. But the age thing...yeah that's stupid.
And nobody should date 19 year olds, not even 19 year olds.

Jalula said...

Amy, I think my problem was that it was a third party (whom I don't think knows me very well) telling me. I do understand different-been there, tried that.