Thursday, March 18, 2010

Enchanted, sick days and introspection

I believe the last really introspective blog post I wrote included Enchanted, and a moment in the movie that made me think. Well, I haven't been feeling well this week, and while at home watching movies (which is what sick people do, right?) I watched Enchanted again. Once more, a clip at the end of the movie made me think. The hag is offering Giselle the apple, promising her that all the bad memories, everyone she's met in New York, and all her experiences there will go away if she takes a bite of the apple. I thought about the course of the movie, and how she learns things about the place she's in and herself as she meets and interacts with people. While a fairy tale life seems appealing, I think there are some things that can only be learned while in difficult times. Life is wonderful when things are going well, but do we really appreciate it unless we have something to compare it with? Giselle thinks, then takes a bite of the apple. I wondered if I would do the same thing? When faced with the choice between forgetting everything, and living in perpetual "bliss" or taking the good with the bad, what would be my choice? I think I would keep it all, good and bad together, and try more actively to learn from the things that perplex me, and be more grateful for the times when things are going well. What would you do?

No comments: