Friday, March 26, 2010

Fishing

You all probably know how I love analogies. If you don't, just come to one of my Sunday school classes...I don't think I can make it through one without using an analogy or several. One that I have always thought is funny is the fishing/dating analogy...more fish in the pond, fishing in the wrong pond, going from friend"ships" to relation"ships". I heard it all at BYU. I always get a funny mental image of a fish in a boat (usually a canoe if anyone cares) with a fishing pole fishing for its mate. Makes me think the analogy has some holes in it.

While fishing, you throw in the bait and wait to see what bites. I guess that's what you do when looking for someone to date...show off what you have and see if anyone looks interested. Sometimes I wonder if for some people, hunting would be a better analogy. They see what they want and go for it, rather than wait on whatever bites. While I don't have any real insights about this analogy, the thought was brought on by a compliment I received. A friend of mine told me last week that I'm a catch. What a sweet thing to say, right? But it got me thinking, what if the person I want to be caught by is out hunting instead?

Meanwhile, I wonder if a certain offer to go fishing on the bay in a kayak is still good...better maybe, now that the weather is warming up:)

2 comments:

katieg said...

Patty Stanger, the Millionaire Matchmaker, would agree that finding a mate is like hunting. The woman is the prey and the man the hunter. She doesn't like those that just sit there and fish. Her show can be kinda funny and a little eye-opening. Some of the people wonder why they can't find love, when it's pretty apparent why.

Jalula said...

I've never heard of her, Katie. I was just picturing myself as a fish sitting in a pond waiting for some bait, and all of the people who should be fishing all out hunting. I thought it was funny. Meanwhile, I'm so glad they found your car!@