Thursday, April 15, 2010

Do I detect a double standard?

I was chatting with a friend last night. She asked "So you and Chad don't see each other anymore?" (Chad and I broke up almost a year ago, mind you).

I answered "No, we don't."

She said "Stupid boy." I pointed out the fact that I was the one who ended the relationship, at which point she said something to the effect of "Well, then, if you felt like you didn't want to be in the relationship anymore, it was the right thing to have done."

So, it's okay for me to break things off if I feel it's not right, but if he'd been the one who felt things weren't right he should have stuck with the relationship? Even if he didn't want to? Why is that? Or do you really think that I should have stuck with it, and were surprised to find out I broke it off, and trying to cover your tracks by the second statement? Do people think that talking down about someone I care about will make me feel better about the fact that a dating relationship with that person didn't work? I have a lot of respect for Chad, and while things didn't work out for us, that doesn't mean I don't care about him still, nor does it mean I want to hear you call him (or anyone else I've dated for that matter) stupid, no matter who was the one to end the relationship. Sometimes things just don't work out between two people, and no matter the reason, I think both still deserve to be respected.

No comments: