Friday, April 30, 2010

A good bad day

I know yesterday was probably rough for some of my friends. Not in a really bad things happening way, just in a I didn't expect this type way. A couple of the best players on our soccer team transferred themselves to different teams. I don't know if it's the type of thing that is causing hurt feelings (my feelings certainly aren't hurt, but I don't know about the rest of the team), but it made soccer a lot different than it has been for the last two seasons. We lost our game yesterday 0-1, with a goal that I think was mostly luck on their end, and because we have trouble finishing. There were some good shots, but they had a good goalie.

Half of my soccer team is also on my softball team (okay, maybe not half, but a good majority). We had a double header yesterday as well. The soccer team showed up for the first game, which we lost. To the best team in the league. They totally stack this team. I don't know how it's fun for them to come out and play with people who can't even give them a run for their money, but that's just me. I like to have a close, hard-fought game. The soccer players left the rest of the team to the second game a man down. We got run ruled. Bummer.

However...

I hit a double in the first game. I think it's the first time I've hit a ball out of the infield (even if it did roll out). Right past the first baseman, into a gap. Don't ask me how I did this, since I'm right handed and for all intents and purposes should always hit the ball toward third base as I'm not skilled enough to pull the ball the other way. Nonetheless, it made me feel pretty good. On top of that, after missing an easy throw in the first inning, I made a couple of outs playing second base, and even caught a pop up that I thought I was going to miss. It was one of those moments when you close your eyes and pray that the ball finds your glove. It did this time. In spite of the loss, I felt pretty good about the game, and headed over to the soccer field.

Our coach has put me in front a lot this season (all two games of it), and I think it's kind of fun. Playing defense is great, I love it, but even the potential to score is exciting. It was a hard fought game, and I felt like I was keeping up with the pace. I think I still need a little coaching about where to be when I'm playing forward, but I also think I'm starting to get the hang of it. So in spite of losses, I had a good day.

No comments: