Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lunchtime field trip

Some background information...

  • I am taking the Texas Teachers course-it's at a hotel here in town.
  • Across the street from said hotel is a Jo Ann's craft store-I make frequent trips there on our lunch breaks.
  • Keri is taking the class with me-she also knits.
  • There is a craft fair at work in the beginning of December.
  • I am wearing a Shevchenko jersey today.

Okay, on with the story-the info will all make sense soon. Keri and I are knitting scarves with the yarn below-a great chunky yarn that is a Jo Ann's brand. It takes size 35 knitting needles, and we can make a scarf with one skein in about an hour and a half. Pretty good all things considered.


A couple of weeks ago, I found a 20% off coupon for Jo Ann's, so Keri and I took a lunch time trip to Jo Ann's for yarn-it would cut down on our costs for the scarves we plan to sell at the craft fair. We basically cleaned them out, and have both sped through our respective piles of yarn, and visited Jo Ann's again last Saturday. The woman we talked to mentioned that they receive their yarn shipments on Thursdays. We decided it would be a good idea to go on a Thursday so we could have our pick.

We went at lunch today and found a less than satisfying selection. We decided to ask someone, and approached the fabric cutting counter. Keri asked our question, and told her a couple of other things. I stood by watching. The lady waiting for her fabric looked at me, looked at Keri, and asked "is she a visiting athlete from somewhere?" Awesome. I'm a Ukrainian soccer player :) Just call me Дженя.

Meanwhile, while the shipments of yarn technically come on Thursday, they don't get put out until Friday...I guess another lunchtime excursion is in order.

1 comment:

Keri Culp said...

I love how she just assumed you were from another country. And...she turned to me as if I was your keeper. hahahaha