Friday, November 27, 2009

Moments of Decision

I know I already posted today, but why not post twice...I have something to write.

I'm sitting here watching "Enchanted" while I work on some Christmas (and other) presents I'm making. I've been thinking about relationships and decisions a lot lately. There are so many little moments of decision in everything we do-related to our relationships, and to our lives. The ball scene is what caught my attention just now. They show Patrick Dempsy and Idina Menzel dancing. They look quite happy in spite of all their relationship has been through lately. I thought to myself, they're at a moment of decision. They've decided to put aside the things that have happened, and to go on with the path in their lives that they believe will bring them happiness. What would have happened if Amy Adams and James Marsden hadn't shown up at that moment? Their "happily ever afters" would have been different, but would they have been less fulfilling? Personally, I don't think so. There are so many things in our lives that are choices that we don't see as such. For instance, many of our emotions are choices. Of course, I'll admit that emotions come quickly and are not really within our control, but after the initial hit of the emotion, I believe we start facing decisions.

Do I continue to spend time with this person that I'm attracted to? Do I hang on to the anger I feel when someone cuts me off on the freeway? Do I wallow in guilt when I've wronged someone? Do I doubt my faith when something or someone shakes it? Do I float on the sea of nostalgia that I find each time something reminds me of days gone by? If we were really the emotional creatures many believe us to be, I don't think we'd get much done. We'd always be busy following our emotions, selfishly. We all feel many emotions each day, each hour, sometimes moment to moment. Some are meant to be savored, others meant to be let go. Sometimes this is an easy thing-I tend to get over being cut off rather quickly. Other times, not so easy-losing a friend leaves a hole that is only filled by constant choices to remember the good times, be grateful for what was, and not think about what might have been. This constant stream of choices can replace the hurt with fond memories. Coming out of ourselves through our choices helps us minimize (or maximize, depending on the choice) our selfishness, and lets us expand. Each time we make a choice, our capacity to do is increased.

I believe this is especially true for faith. Each time I make a choice to be faithful and patient, my capacity to be faithful and patient increases. It is a self-perpetuating circle. The choices in the beginning are difficult-believing is not something that comes naturally to everyone. Taking the first steps may be the most difficult, yet also sometimes the most rewarding.

Meanwhile, I hate the dress they have Amy Adams wear to the ball. I don't think it flatters her at all.

No comments: