Monday, November 9, 2009

My Weekend, Post 3: Foot Guy

Okay...here's the disclaimer. The picture below will be up for a while, but since I can hardly stand to look at it, it may disappear. On with the story. The day before Halloween, there was a big party in Berkley, that Amy, Wade and I attended. We walked in, and wondered what the big line twisting up the staircase was for. When we found out it was for the haunted house, Amy and Wade insisted on joining. In the 10 minutes it took us to find out what was going on, we saw the guy below mingling, and pretending to eat one of those feet you hang out your trunk as a joke. Gross. What else can I say? He was instantly dubbed "foot guy". We waited in line for the haunted house and chatted-I warned Wade and Amy that I'm not the best person to take in haunted houses, and they might be better off leaving me at the door and meeting me when they're through. They would have none of my excuses. We got to the basement (where the "house" was), and went in with Rodger (whom we hadn't met at this point, and who I thought was supposed to be our tour guide through said haunted house). The first room seemed unassuming enough-a table with a tablecloth, and a non-lit fireplace. Not much else. We stood there for a while, then suddenly Rodger dropped dead. The lights went out, the fireplace roared, and in the black light above the mantle we could see that "you're next" had been written. I knew I was in trouble at this point. The door on the other side of the room popped open, and I grabbed Wade's arm, closed my eyes, and prepared to be led through the haunted house, as I knew that if my eyes were open I was in for an unwanted scare. Amy pulled her pirate gun and led the way. I heard lots, and "saw" the change in lighting through my tightly clamped eyelids as we passed from room to room. Strobe lights, flickering lights, mostly dark...empty aerosol cans spraying...I was scared. The terrified chatter of the others in our group didn't help. Thriller started playing. I imagine there were zombies in that room, but I sure didn't open my eyes to find out! At one point, we went through a doorway, and Amy said something like "oh my gosh, it's foot guy!" at which point I clamped my eyes tighter and held my breath. As I'm back in San Antonio, I need not tell you I made it through without incident. However, every time I saw foot guy upstairs, I avoided him like the plague (which it looks like he might have caught somewhere).

The haunted house exit was on the other side of the house, and took us through an indoor basketball court where there was a DJ, music, not-so-scary strobe and other lighting, and dancing. There were also giant fans. Too good to resist. Think Bollywood and the always present and unexplained indoor wind. Amy and I took several pictures. Below are my favorites.
I also like this shot of Amy and Wade dancing. I think it's the fact that her gun is being flailed above her head.
Another priceless moment was being on the porch when these two showed up. Amy and I made bets about how many people would actually get their costumes. As if on cue, the redneck on the right side of the picture struck up a conversation..."What are you on strike from?"
Meanwhile, later on my suspicions about zombies was validated. The DJ played thriller, and these guys did the whole dance with all of us watching (or quietly joining in).
What a great weekend. A much needed break, and a reminder of why I love California so much! Thanks Amy!

1 comment:

ai said...

N.E. Time! Come back and visit, too too fun...we'll got to Mitchell's!