Thursday, August 12, 2010

Change

After two weeks off, I've come back to live as it was. Monday was soccer, Tuesday I went to the temple, Wednesday was soccer again, and the list continues so that as I look at the weeks ahead I realize that my weekends for the next month are already planned. I might get a free night next Wednesday only because my Bible study class is on break for a couple of weeks. Don't get me wrong, I like to be busy-it keeps me distracted (mostly) from the things I'm unhappy about in life but can't change at this moment.

I took some time last night after soccer to chat with a friend I haven't seen in some time. We talked about some of those things, and as I reflected on our game (and the friends I've made playing and my gratitude for them, and the changes that may happen before next season arrives), and thought about the things we were discussing, I came to a realization that wasn't really surprising, or new.

While there are some things in my life I really want to change, there are other things I would like to keep the same. Now, this may seem intuitive, but here's the problem. Changing the biggest thing I want to change in my life right now would cause several other changes that I see as undesirable. Because of that, in spite of my desire for a change, I'm afraid of it too. This realization makes me wonder if my attempts to change this aspect of my life have, in fact, been half-hearted. I have been making attempts, but have had little success. This lack of success could be a product of many things I have no control over, but what if it is also a product of my fear?

Does anyone know why we are so afraid of change, even when we think it will be a good thing?

1 comment:

Kayla said...

I think we are afraid of change because we have been raised as creatures of consistency and habit. For the most part, we are raised by our parents to do certain things at certain times, in certain ways. For example, you drive your car the same way whether you are on the highway or in a school zone. Most people don't change how they do things in their lives, they just learn to adapt to how other people do those things.

I'm studying to be a teacher and I'm graduating in December of 2011...I'm scared to death! I won't be in college anymore and that's what I'm used to...college. Late nights, working out, studying, writing papers, etc.

I think it comes down to the fact that we are creatures of habit and consistency, we like things to be the same way so that it's easier to get through life. And I think our minds create fear of change in order to protect us from having to deal with something completely different. I also know that at times, Satan will present a fear of the change in order to keep us from making that change...because maybe that change would cause something even greater to come about for us or society.

I love you Janelle! We need to do ice cream again sometime! :)