Monday, August 23, 2010

Happenings

So I know I have tons more to write about my vacation, but life seems to get in the way. I started this post thinking of a few of things to post, and now I can only remember two.

First, I heard the best song lyrics today..."Hey there cutes put on your dancin' boots and come dance with me" Made me wish I had the opportunity to use it :0)

My second observation is a little more long winded. I've been reading Jane Eyre for a book club some friends started. Having read the book ages ago, I contested the choice, but was out voted and promised I could pick the next book. I've been trying to decide whether to pick a dorky science book I know I'd love, or try to find something that everyone might like. Probably the latter will end up happening. Don't be shy about commenting if you have a recommendation! I'm always looking for a good book.

The other day when I was reading, though, I was surprised to find a passage I liked! I'm putting it here for the benefit of anyone who thinks like I do, or to start an animated conversation between the two people who actually comment on my posts.

To set the scene, there are some visitors at a house, and they are entertaining one another. One of the ladies is sitting at the piano and pontificating as she plays. The following are her observations:

"Of, I am so sick of the young men of the present day! Poor, puny things, not fit to stir a step beyond papa's park gates: nor to go even so far without mamma's permission and guardianship! Creatures so absorbed in care about their pretty faces and their white hands, and their small feet; as if a man had anything to do with beauty! As if loveliness were not the special prerogative of a woman-her legitimate appanage and heritage! I grant an ugly woman is a blot on the fair face of creation; but as to the gentlemen, let them be solicitous to posses only strength and valor: let their motto be-hunt, shoot and fight: the rest is not worth a fillip. Such should be my device, were I a man.

"Whenever I marry I am resolved my husband shall not be a rival, but a foil to me. I will suffer no competitor near the throne: I shall exact an undivided homage; his devotion shall not be shared between me and the shape he sees in his mirror."

Interesting thoughts about gender roles...

No comments: