Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My New Addition

I've been wanting a pet for a while. A dog in a small apartment seemed cruel, both for me and the dog, and I don't like cats. I thought about a hedgehog for a while-they are adorable! Unfortunately, they are illegal in several states, and as they have a long lifespan, and since I don't think I'll stay in Texas forever, I thought it wise to pursue a pet that wouldn't have legal problems. So today I added a Fisher's lovebird to my apartment.



I borrowed cages from a friend-a small one for transport, and a larger one what I'll move him to when he's calmed down a little. Meanwhile I'm shopping for cages and waiting for the bird show at the end of September. I'm told it will be a great place to find a nice cage.



While telling the sex is difficult, I think I have a boy, so now the naming saga begins. I'm not good at naming things, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So far, he's pretty quiet. I expect that's because moving today gave him quite a shock. He squawked a little when I caught him to clip his wings, and I gave up after one wing...he drew blood twice biting me. Looks like I have my work cut out for me...Bird-2, Janelle-1.



I'm thinking about clipping the other wing tomorrow; or maybe I'll give him a little more time to get used to me. If he decides I'm not really a threat, maybe he won't bite so hard!

2 comments:

Kayla said...

You should get some leather gloves to wear when handling him! I had two parakeets and they were pretty mean at first...I just wore my gloves when I handled them.

I think you should name him.......... gosh I dunno what to suggest even. It's hard without knowing his personality!

Maybe... Romeo, Darcey, Charlie, Simon, ummm...I dunno! He's super pretty though!!

katieg said...

He looks like a Percy to me :) Have fun being a birdie momma.