Sunday, August 8, 2010

Norway, post 1

This is just a post to show off some pictures...the first is the fjord in Trondheim. We took a little drive to have a BBQ and do some swimming here with Mari, Nikolai and some of their friends. Jared actually got in and swam around a bit. I waded in until my teeth were chattering, which meant I only got knee deep.




Our second stop was a town called Fredrikstad. Jared's great-great grandfather came from Fredrikstad to America, so it was a must see, even though there's not a lot there. Pictured below is the menu from where we had dinner. We stared at them until the waiter came. We asked him if he spoke English, and when he said yes we asked if he could translate for us. He had something better...menus in English!




We visited the Cultural Museum in Oslo, where we saw lots of old buildings. I love the way the wood weathers, and the grass on the roof. We were told it's for insulation. There are actually some places (where my friend Mari's family has a cabin) where it is mandated by law that you put grass on your roof. In their case, it's because they are near a national park, and the park service wants the valley below to look natural.




Outside the Viking Ship museum there was a man selling reindeer burgers. We decided they were worth a try...they weren't very good :( I should have opted for another Belgian waffle for lunch!



So there's just a taste of Norway. I'll keep posting as I go through my pictures, and get the film developed from my SLR.

No comments: